MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL, Minn. - The Minnesota Twins today announced plans for Opening Day 2013 at Target Field when they host the Detroit Tigers on Monday, April 1 at 3:10 p.m. This will be the first time the Twins open their season at Target Field since moving to the ballpark in 2010.
All fans in attendance will receive a Twins magnet schedule courtesy of Country Hearth. The Twins also plan several special events prior to the start of the game with gates opening at 1 p.m. (two hours before first pitch) to allow fans to get to the ballpark in plenty of time to enjoy the pregame festivities.
Monday, April 1 - Twins vs. Tigers
- 6 to 9 a.m. - Breakfast on the Plaza -Breakfast on the Plaza makes its first-ever appearance on Target Plaza. Fans are invited to drive down 7th Street (adjacent to the Twins Majestic Clubhouse Store) and grab breakfast. Free food and beverages will also be available to bikers and pedestrians on the 7th Street side of Target Plaza.
- 1 p.m. - Gates open - legendary Twins players will ceremonially open their respective gates (Bert Blyleven will represent fellow Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew at Gate 3, Tony Oliva at Gate 6, Kent Hrbek at Gate 14, Rod Carew at Gate 29 and Tom Kelly will represent Kirby Puckett at Gate 34).
- 6 to 9 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. - The Target Tube will make its debut on Target Plaza, giving free Twins fan "makeovers" complete with face paint and hair colors along with fan photo opportunities with the Target Field mascots.
Other pregame events include, in this order:
- Both teams will be introduced along the foul lines.
- A giant flag will be unfurled by Twins Season Ticket Holders and SuperAmerica.
- Two members of the Crystal Little League will raise the Hennepin County Flag.
- Rod Carew will raise the American Flag. Carew served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve for six years in the 1960's, missing more than two dozen games as he served his commitment to the Marine Corps as a combat engineer.
- The National Anthem will be performed by Nicholas David, finalist on NBC's 3rd season of "The Voice".
- Longtime Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak will raise the Twins Territory Flag.
- A pre-game moment of silence for the victims of the Newtown shooting and remembrance of former players and military members from Twins Territory who passed away in 2012 will be observed.
- Ceremonial first pitch will be thrown by the family of fallen Cold Spring police officer Tom Decker.
- Twins will take the field.
- Play Ball!
In-game elements include:
- A ballpark-wide photo - Fans in attendance are encouraged to be in their seats during the 3rd inning to be a part of the Target Field ballpark-wide photo. Then, fans can visit www.twinsbaseball.com/tagoramic to find themselves at the game and tag their friends.
- "Take Me out to the Ballgame" in the 7th inning will be performed by Nicholas David and his family.
- "God Bless America" will be performed by Kat Perkins of local band Scarlett Haze.
Season, group and single-game tickets for Opening Day and the remainder of the 2013 season at Target Field are now available at www.twinsbaseball.com, by calling 612-33-TWINS (612-338-9467) or 800-33-TWINS (800-338-9467), or in-person at the Target Field Ticket Office and at Twins Pro Shops located in Apple Valley, Roseville and Minnetonka.